Sunday, February 12, 2012

Morality or Punishment?

Before this semester started, my parents got me this plastic stepstool because my bed is like 4 ft. above the ground on top of my dresser, even though I told them they didn't have to because I didn't think I'd use it and I was doing fine getting into bed, and whatnot.

Today I accidentally broke it, and I felt really bad that I should have done such a thing to my parents.  They got me this stepstool because they worried about my ability to get into bed, and in the end I did use it.

The question is, why did I feel so sad?  Was it because I just broke a gift from them and it reminded me of how much they care for me and how don't recognize it enough, so much so that I should break a gift from them? Or was it because I feared they would think I wasn't thankful since I hadn't really wanted it and now broken it?  Did I legitimately feel bad, or did I just fear punishment?

No comments:

Post a Comment